If your idea of a perfect San Francisco wedding includes incredible views and tons of entertainment for your guests, a Chabot Space and Science Center wedding is the ideal choice. Imagine a wedding where you and your guests can spend cocktail hour gazing at the stars, trying your hand at karaoke, or learning about the inner workings of our galaxy through the many interactive exhibits. As an added plus, the venue is visually stunning, a perfect blend of modern architecture and nature… it’s surrounded by redwoods.
Perched high in the Oakland hills, with sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay area, Chabot Space and Science Center wedding holds obvious appeal for the scientifically inclined. But it’s also the perfect space for anyone wanting a unique, memorable San Francisco wedding. The center can accommodate weddings of all sizes from intimate to large, and there are both indoor and outdoor options available.
One of the many reasons why couples get married at Chabot Space and Science Center is the variety of wedding ceremony spaces. Maybe you’ve been dreaming of an Oakland hills wedding. If so, you might opt for an outdoor wedding ceremony on the observatory terrace overlooking expansive SF Bay Area views and amazing sunsets, or say your vows inside in the planetarium, beneath a 70-foot dome of gorgeous night sky thick with stars… while your guests lounge in the cushy tiered seating. You can even have the planetarium show choreographed to your exact specifications during your wedding ceremony (one couple requested nebulae colliding as they said their I dos)! You won’t have to worry about the weather if you hold your ceremony in the planetarium, and you can ask for a laser light show in the planetarium immediately following your ceremony to entertain guests while you slip away to do group portraits with your wedding party. What a great idea–fun for them and you won’t miss out on cocktail hour.
Both of these wedding ceremony locations lend themselves to incredible wedding photography. There are plenty of other areas to capture amazing photographs of your wedding day. The grand staircase in lobby and the modern, industrial balconies overlooking the redwoods are some of my favorite spots at Chabot. Here are a few other fun photo opps scattered throughout:
• An astronaut suit (guests stand behind and poke their heads through the helmet)
• A space shuttle capsule (guests can sit inside)
• Weightless in space backdrop
• Telescope viewing areas
Best of all, your wedding guests will appreciate the ample parking (with no pesky parking meters to monitor) something which is basically nonexistent in the San Francisco Bay Area!
• Since Chabot is a working museum, setup for events cannot begin until after 5 PM. You’ll certainly want to be there to catch the sunset, anyway (best viewed from the observatory Terrace).
• Dining areas include the rotunda, the café, the outdoor covered patio, and the larger Explore and Create Room in the separate back building.
• There’s karaoke and slideshow setups in the Touch the Sun exhibit room and another projector upstairs in the Explore and Create Room
• The skyway between the two buildings is a great spot for the bar, which looks beautiful dressed up with candles at night.
If you want your San Francisco Bay Area wedding to have an extra wow-factor that will entertain your guests and keep them talking for years to come, check out Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland. You can see the possibilities first hand at their upcoming open house on Monday, April 9th. Get your FREE tickets here.
PLANNING A WEDDING? LOOKING FOR A PHOTOGRAPHER? CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE PRICING AND AN INFORMATIONAL GUIDE.